Procedure to be followed when an Indian national resident in Dubai and Northern Emirates passes away
Death of a person is a traumatic experience for family members and friends. The grief is exacerbated if there is a plethora of formalities to be completed for disposal of mortal remains but one does not have a clear and comprehensive idea of what needs to be done, how and where.
Detailed below are the procedures to be followed by the person taking responsibility for repatriation or burial or cremation of a dead body.
- All death formalities to be completed at Hospitals, Ministry of Health and Police can be done only on working days i.e. from Sunday to Thursday between 8am and 2pm.
- In Dubai, after office timings and on holidays ‘on call’ service is available on request made on telephone number…….
- Services of a Consulate Official for completing death related formalities are available even after office hours everyday including holidays. He can be contacted on mobile number 050-7347676 after office hours and on holidays.
- In cases of deaths at residence or any place other than Hospitals or in Ambulances, take the body of the deceased on an ambulance to the Police Mortuary for forensic examination.
- Get Death Declaration/Notification from the Police surgeon.
- In cases of deaths at Hospitals or in Ambulances, get Death Declaration/Notification from the Hospital authorities. (Bodies are kept in the concerned hospital mortuary).
Report to the local Police Station where the deceased resided with a copy of Death Declaration/Notification, Passport and other identity documents of the deceased.
- In cases of death due to accident, report to the jurisdictional Police Station where the accident happened.
- In cases of death due to ‘unknown’ reasons, the bodies are kept at Police Mortuary for investigation. Further procedures are dependent on forensic report and investigation report from Public Prosecution Department.
- Submit Death Notification to Preventive Medicine Section, Ministry of Health at Al Baraha Hospital, Hamriya) for obtaining the Death Certificate (Fee AED 50).
- Request for English version of the Death Certificate. If the English version is not made available at Al Baraha hospital, Death Certificate can be got translated at CGI during office hours or from Cargo Village Import area translation office.
Get the sponsor’s signature on the visa cancellation form and get the visa cancelled from Labor/Immigration Dept. New Labour office located at Beirut Street, Al Ghusais. Visa cancellation services are available at DNRD Bur Dubai and Hamriya till 4.30 pm on normal working days. On holidays cancellation is done at Jumeira Immigration Jail upon request.
Get the passport of the deceased cancelled at the Consulate. For the purpose, bring the following documents:
- Original Passport
- Three copies each of
- Two copies of passport of the accompanying person
- Letter of authorization from the Next of Kin of the deceased for repatriating/ cremating the body. If the nearest blood relative/spouse is in India, a fax to the Consulate from the relative/spouse of the deceased from home place is required. The text of the letter of authorizationshould read as follows:I,(name) understand that my husband/son/father/brother/wife (name and passport no.) has died on (date) at Dubai. I authorize (name of the person), holder of passport number….. for repatriating/ cremating the body.
- If the cause of death is Murder / Accident / Suicide, then a notarized authorization letter/ affidavit from the wife / father / mother is mandatory.
- Letter from the company or sponsor stating that they will carry out the settlement and repatriation procedures.
- Get a death certificate issued from the Consulate which is done on the basis of the Death Certificate issued by the Ministry of Health.
- Get a letter from the Consulate of no objection for transporting/repatriating the body. The Airlines and Indian authorities require this document.
- Get a copy of the Death Certificate issued by the Ministry of Health attested at the Consulate. This is required for insurance claims in India.
- Once again report to the police station with the cancelled passport and the documents received from the Consulate.
- Collect the following three documents which are issued by the Police Station:
- Letter to the mortuary authorities for releasing the dead body
- Letter to Al Makhtoum Hospital for embalming the dead body
- Letter to Airport authorities permitting repatriation of the dead body. Procedure in case of departure from Sharjah Airport.
In cases where death is due to highly contagious diseases like Hepatitis B&C, Anthrax, Typhus, Plague, Rabies, Viral hemorrhage, Yellow fever, HIV, bodies are not embalmed and have to be disposed locally.
- Approach Al Medical Fitness Centre, Sonapur with the following documents for embalming:
- Original death certificate with two photocopies
- Letter from the police with no objection for embalming and transportation of the dead body
- Passport/emergency certificate of the deceased after its cancellation from the consulate/embassy
- A copy of the no objection letter from consulate for transporting/repatriating the body and Death registration
- At the counter of the mortuary of embalming hospital, pay a fee of AED 1,010 for embalming, AED 1200 to 2500 for coffin and AED 110 for Ambulance Services. Get the time for embalming from Al Medical Fitness Centre, Sonapur which is fixed depending on the flight departure timings of the accompanying person.
- A minimum of 3-4 hours before the allotted time of embalming, the authorized person along with one more person who carries some identification document should approach the mortuary for receiving the dead body. Bodies can be taken from Police mortuary till 2 pm and from mortuaries of other hospitals till 4 pm.
- In case of children inform the size to the mortuary attendants (0503483990) for them to arrange the correct size of coffin. Coffins are airtight in which dead bodies can be kept up to seven days. It is safe to open the coffin 2 hours before funeral/cremation.
- Once the time of flight departure is given to Makhtoum Hospital, they transport the body to cargo section of the Airport in an ambulance.
After embalming bring the embalming certificate with one photocopy to the Consulate for attestation. The accompanying person should also bring a copy of his Air Ticket (Cargo air fares to India for mortal remains vary from AED 1200 to AED 2500 on national couriers).
- Following documents in original along with 8 photocopies are required at the cargo section:
- Police No Objection for repatriation/transportation of body and its English translation
- Attested Embalming certificate
- Attested Death certificate and its English translation
- Embassy/Consulate certificate Death registration certificate (Annex I)
- Consulate letter authorizing a person
- Cancelled passport of the deceased
- Accompanying person’s confirmed air ticket (2 copies)
- Accompanying persons passport (2 copies)
- At the export counter of cargo section fill up the Airway bill form and give details of the accompanying person and copy of the ticket.
- Collect the bar code sticker identifying the coffin.
- Provide weight and volume of the coffin at counter number 55.
- Along with Airway bill submit 8 sets of the documents to the cargo section. Three sets are returned, one of which is to be submitted on the 2nd Floor New Cargo Complex customs counter for clearance.
- Give the other two sets with original letter issued from Dubai Police to the Police Outpost on the 2nd floor along with the original copy of Police No-objection letter, which is returned back.
- Pay the cargo charges (Air India /Indian Airlines/Express AED 1300 to AED 2500 and in other Airlines AED 3000 to AED 4000) upon which original airway bill will be issued.
- Keep all the original documents including airway bill and carry a minimum of 4 extra copies
- On arrival at the destination airport ask for the airlines staff for help in completing the formalities.
- Hand over the original documents to the kin of the deceased.
- If the coffin is to be moved out side the Airport limits obtain a no objection certificate from the Airport Police.
Visa of dependents
- Get visas of all the dependents who were on the sponsorship of the deceased cancelled.
- In case dependents want to stay on for some pressing reasons like completion of academic year, etc. make a request to the company where the deceased was working for sponsorship. On their security/ guarantee, Immigration department allows dependents to stay till next academic year or till the validity of the visa.
In case belongings of deceased are to be sent to home country a request from the deceased’s employer in the specified format is to be submitted to the Consulate with a list of used items. Upon receipt the Consulate will issue a letter to the Customs Department on the basis of which the relative of the deceased can carry the belongings without any duty.
- In case all family members of the deceased are present approach the ‘Shariah Court’, LHC can be prepared in the presence of two witnesses.
- If the family members are in India, they should obtain LHC from the concerned authority, get the same attested by state home department and Embassy/Consulate of United Arab Emirates followed by UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Indian Embassy/ Consulate. Translation in Arabic to be attested by Ministry of Justice.
Sponsor of an absconding employee surrenders the absconder’s passport to the Immigration Department/Labour Department.
- In case an absconding employee dies, a person duly authorized by his next of kin and/or Consulate for repatriating or cremating the body should approach Immigration department along with his passport, which is retained as security by Immigration.
- Immigration dept cancels the absconder’s visa upon submission of his death certificate and gives back the passport.
- On producing the documents of cremation/repatriation the guarantor’s passport is returned back.
- Obtain an emergency certificate (Outpass) form the Consulate or download the same.
- Submit the duly filled form with 2 photographs, copy of passport and/or other Identity documents like Labour Card, Health Card, and Driving License etc of the deceased.
- If no identity documents are available, obtain a letter from the local authorities at the native place of the deceased like Tehsildar or Sarpanch of the local Panchayat stating that the person belonged to the place. Else the Next of Kin can give a duly notarized affidavit along with duly attested photograph of the deceased on the affidavit.
- Get a letter from Dubai Police addressed to Sharjah Police instead of to Dubai Airport.
- Hand over this letter at Sharjah Police Hqrs (situated near the Clock tower) between 8am and 8pm.
- Collect the letter issued by Sharjah Police Hqrs for Police Outpost at the Sharjah Air Port. Submit this letter along with copies of all other documents at Sharjah Air port Police Outpost. All documents will be retained except the letter from Sharjah Police.
- Fax or bring this letter to Al Medical Fitness Centre on the basis of which they will dispatch the coffin to Sharjah Airport Cargo. One relative should accompany the Ambulance.
- It is possible to send unaccompanied remains to any destination point in India.
- Next of kin of deceased sends a notarized confirmation for collection of the body to the respective Airline cargo office at the destination Airport.
- The Airline cargo office in turn sends a message to their City Office at the departure port or to the airport cargo office in UAE. If the message is sent to airport cargo office ensure that a copy is sent to the Airline City Office also.
- Mail or courier all the documents and airway bill to the relatives at the destination who can then approach their concerned airport cargo office, complete the formalities and collect the body.
- If the deceased was not on a Company sponsorship and if his family is indigent make a request to the Labour and Welfare Section at the Consulate for free of cost repatriation of dead body.
- Collect the letter issued by the Consulate for the concerned Airline office.
- Submit the letter to the airline office which in turn will issue another letter for the cargo section and give a one-way ticket for the accompanying person and carry the body for free.
Important Contact Details for Death Services
|Department of Health (Preventive Medicine), Dubai||Al Baraha Hospital (Kuwaiti Hospital, Hamariah)||04 2710000|
|Department of Health (Preventive Medicine), Sharjah||Behind Sharjah Indian School (Near 1000 villa)|
|Consulate Death Case Emergency||050 7347676|
|Air India Cargo||Mr.Abdul Manaf||050 5521068 (Mobile)
04 2822068 (Tel)
04 2822913 (Fax)
|Indian Airlines Cargo||Sharjah
|Hindu Crematorium Assistance||Mr.Eeshwar
|Dubai Municipality Muslim Burial Ground (Kabarsthan)||04 3388013 (Al Quoz)
04 3455106 (Al Quasis)
|Dubai Christian Cemetery Jebel Ali||04 3370087 (Tel)
050 6532612 (Mobile)
04 3375663 (Sister Alice)
|For Coffin||Mr Mazhar/ Shezad||050 3483990 (Mobile)|
|Dubai Ambulance Service||04 2643355 (Tel)|
|Medical Fitness Center
|Police Mortuary, Dubai||04 2013557|
|Sharjah Ambulance Service||Mr Sameer||050 5878548
|Sharjah Police Mortuary||06 538118 Ext 218|
|Rasheed Hospital||04 2192184|
|Dubai Hospital||04 2714444|
|Sharjah Kuwait Hospital||065242111|
|Sharjah Al Qassami Hospital||065386444|